5/18/2012

floating, bouncing back and one day I am going to grow wings, a chemical reaction, hysterical and useless

Lately I've been really into sculptures and installation art pieces. It might be my new favourite type of art!


I came across artist Jean Shin, who uses everyday objects and transforms them into extraordinary creations- usually quite large in size. "Distinguished by her meticulous, labor-intensive process, and her engagement of community, Shin’s arresting installations reflect individuals’ personal lives as well as collective issues that we face as a society." Some of her materials include: house keys, trophies, old lottery tickets, recycled bottles, pots and pans, used clothing/fabric and more. They are all so incredible, but I nailed it down to my favourite three installations. I think the one reaction I've had to every project I've seen by her, is "that's absolutely brilliant/ why didn't I think of that?" Just completely unlike anything I've ever seen before.


This installation is called Chemical Balance and it was created using prescription bottles from nursing homes, pharmacies and individuals’ medicine cabinets, mirror and epoxy, and fluorescent lights. "Chemical Balance speaks to our culture’s over-consumption of prescription drugs and our bodies’ dependency on these medications."










This installation is called "
Umbrellas Stripped Bare" which is pretty straightforward I think. Created using broken umbrella fabric, thread and cable, broken umbrella metal and wooden handles. "The bare ribs and handles form a spiny mass, reminiscent of the chaotic struggle with storms that the umbrellas have endured."






This installation, which might be the coolest in my opinion, is called "Sound Wave". A collection of melted 78 rpm records on wooden armature; in the shape of a tidal wave. "The structure speaks to the inevitable waves of technology that render each successive generation of recordable media obsolete."









These types of projects are relatively new to me but are definitely something I'd like to explore more, seems like something that is right up my alley.

All information and photographs taken from http://www.jeanshin.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment