2/15/2013

the art of sewing part one

Part one of three

A few years back when I was still in school for fashion design, people would often give me things that they thought I could use as an aspiring designer. To this day my closet is still full of garbage bags and boxes containing just about everything from fabric, to zippers, patterns, shoulder pads, studs, thread, and books. I have a lot of books on fashion but my favourite ones are a set of 3 that my friend found (I think in the trash). They are by Time-Life books and part of a series called The Art of Sewing. I like them especially because each has its own unique cover and pattern; there is a sparkly butterfly book, a dark green snakeskin book, and a felted exotic floral print. They aren't in the best condition, but they are from the 70's and the content is great, as well as the images. I scanned in some of my favourite images from the first book, Exotic styling, and I will eventually post scans from the other two books as well. Keep in mind, accompanied with all of these images are patterns to make each piece. If I was feeling extremely ambitious one day I suppose I could give it a shot.

Front cover
Back cover


"A fashionable encounter between East and West"

"Exotic tones in Third World textiles"

"The doubly dazzling kimono"

"The free and easy dashiki"

"The flowing elegance of the caftan"

"Empress' phoenix robe" 

"A blouse from a swirl of paisleys"

"A symbol of the good life in China, the chrysanthemum is reflected here in intricate satin stitches"

"Provocative look in crochet"


"Paisleys"







"Proud peacock"





























No comments:

Post a Comment